Sunday, March 2, 2008

You can do better than spamming trade chat

Pox Arcanum, aka the Grand Experiment or the Anti-Pug, had a few starting rules:


1. we all leveled a new alt on a server we didn't have other alts on.
2. we leveled as a group.

How has this worked out in practice? We divided ourselves up into smaller groups: Purple Poxers, Green Poxed, Black Pox, and YELLOW POXLESS (no bias, girl scout's honor). Five poxers grouped together to take on instances/quests. If the rest of your group has dinged oh let's say 12...ya can't go out and merrily level yourself to 15 on your own. Gotta stay right at or below 12.

So new server, no cash and no leveling/xp farming? Whaddya do when you log on as your lonesome and not part of your group? You find a way to make some money and to level up your professions (hmmm...I guess technically you could also goof around, spam trade chat, make up Chuck Norris jokes, or dance on a mailbox...but that ain't DeadRabbits style).


We want to get some change in our pockets and some cheddar in our wallets!

This has meant that a number of Poxers have become quite proficient on flipping items on the AH, fishing for cash, leveling their profession and creating items that will sell, etc. I figured I'd pass along some of the ways I've come up with getting a pretty good chunk o' change as a level 12 with no backer.

Let's start with fishing!! Thoreau said, "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." You can say "ha! and double ha!!" to Thoreau...you know what you are after. Fishing that will bring you some solid cash. I have a suggestion for a low-level World of Warcarft alt: fish for Deviate Fish.

First, make your way to Ratchet (easy-peasy if you are Horde, a bit harder if you are low-level Alliance but you can do it). From Ratchet, make your way to the Forgotten Pools (don't bother with the two other pools that the Deviate Fish hang out in....there be mean, nasty turtles in those pools that don't play nice). Here' s a map with the route I took from Ratchet to the Forgotten Pools. (DeadRabbit wrote the directions...her handwriting is plain awful...but when you are decomposing, handwriting is the least of your concerns).







Oh sure, pre-level 12, I had to do some ducking and weaving. There's lions and raptors and centaurs...but they can be avoided. The Forgotten Pool has NO turtles acting like piranhas. And usually there are "pools of deviate fish" which yield a higher rate of deviate fish than just fishing open water.


Why all this trouble to get a particular fish? The detailed explanation is here. But let's cut to the chase, I've been selling stacks of 20 Deviate fish for about five gold. Boo-ya!!

For more complete information on the sport of drowning worms in WoW, check out El's Extreme Anglin'

Till then, I'll be zenning out with the fishies.

6 comments:

Cabriella said...

Hey Rabbit! Thanks for the tip. I will certainly be giving that a try on my new alt for our guild's experiment. Also thanks for dropping by our blog and leaving a post! Hope to see you again soon. Great blog, great read!

Cabby

Anonymous said...

Rabbit, you so rock my world! I'm so glad you're part of our anti-PuG because you have very entertaining and helpful posts. Thanks for linking to the fish guide too. Question: are you selling the DF's raw or cooked? If cooked, where'd you get the recipe?

Lazz said...

hmmmm. Deviate Fish, eh?

Another lucrative trade I've been plying is picking up Recipies from Trade Goods vendors for, say, 20s, and then posting them on the AH for 1.5g. Haven't had one return to my mailbox yet.

Rusty said...

Good tip on the Deviate Fish. I've been concentrating on the Oily Blackmouth market myself. Up and down the coast along Ratchet is the best place for a lvl 10 to fish for these. Also, the occasional Floating Wreckage yield nice Tightly Sealed Trunks which have gold, mats and the elusive Weather Beaten Journal.

Go fishing!!

Rabbit Stew said...

@ cabriella: Howdy. Nice to see you to. I think its great that the Anti-Pug idea is spreading

@ gamedame: aw shucks...thanks! Well missy-loo, I think you officially let me in the door so thank you. I really have been enjoying this whole shebang. And as far as the DE's I'm selling them raw. The recipe is a random drop from the Barrens /crosses fingers for someone in Pox Arcanum to get it. The recipe sometimes shows up on the AH for a good chunk of change. Trying to decide if its a good idea or not to invest.
@lazz: oh yes...I just discovered the world of limited supply recipes. Quite a market.
@daxe: cracks me up that the most lucrative fish are the most gosh-darn ugly fish too.

Beowulfa said...

ooh good tip. I recall you mentioning deviate fish but I never took you up on it ....